Friday 9 October 2020

Roof bars / rails lock fix

Now with the ski box removed it was time to get the car a proper clean thru a car wash. For this it would be best to have the roof bars removed. One problem though, the keys were missing (again!). Sigh!

I was hoping some kind of nr would be printed on the lock but this was not the case. Nor could I reveal the lock brand. The roof bars are an original Lancia accessoire for the Kappa SW. I posted a request in a Kappa group on Facebook, hoping I could obtain somehow a kind of master key. Or any other advice to open up the covers without causing any damage. But the only advice I got was to drill the lock open. Apparently these are universal locks easily obtainable. 

So that's what I did. By luck I used the right size drill and presto the lock was open in one go:



Underneath the cover the screws mounted to the roof rail:


In more detail the drilled lock:



The other side with the drilled out lock:



The new locks I ordered. 



And fixed!:


Really pleased with this. The original roof bars have been saved and mounted back on. Thought this working class hero does look good with this option. 

The costs for these locks including shipping were € 16,60  And I consider it money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Information centre panel replacement

Ha! Last week I had some buttons replaced on my daily driver (kappa coupe). They had become soft and sticky. I received a spare control pane...