Monday 2 November 2020

Power windows

One of the first shortcomings I identified was the failing power windows. Both front windows were not working. The power windows in the back were working. Sigh. Clearly this is an option you frequently use.

So the first thing to check were the fuses. These were OK. So next I had to identify where the relais is located. I could not locate them nor was this highlighted anywhere in the owners manual.

After a struggle I finally found a working EPER online (added to the right bar of this blog). With this I found out the location and the part numbers:



I also learned later both modules are exactly the same - despite having different part numbers. So they are interchangeable. The one in the back for the rear windows is easily accessible in the boot:




The module in the front however was a different game. At the passengers side you can easily open up the lid and you get to see the following. Still not sure about the loose connector (is it optional?). In any case I thought I spotted the white module which I thought was the one.



In order to get it removed you need to unscrew the iron mouting frame/holder first and this is what came out


The mounting frame had two modules (black and white) on it. Photo's for the records and part numbers. The black is for the central door locking and or the interior light control. The function of the white one is unknown to me.



The actual power window control unit was further located in the back and not mounted at all. Strange.


So time to swap it out with the rear module. And presto, the front window was working and the back windows failed. Fault localized. 

But where to obtain a working new/used one? Luckily I knew Autofficina Soest had a salvage Kappa Sedan. So I approached them and he had kindly removed it for me and I collected it in the weekend. 

I did mention I had white module in the front and a black one in the back. His apparently was a green one. Typical. And this module was correctly mounted on the frame. So I suspect this module has failed before and has been replaced (without correctly putting things together).



So time to unscrew it and hook it up. But somehow it was not functional. Bummer! Now I was curious, so I opened them up to check if it was something that could be repaired on the inside.

Top side with the relais clearly visible:


When removing the circuit board I noticed the black burn spots on the inside of the white cover, not good:


This was exactly on the place where one the sockets was connected to:


I made an attempt to clean it and solder it again


It however did not work out. Sigh. 

So on to the next. 


This one was in a worse condition, lots of corrosion on various components. This one was beyond repair. Bummer! 


So after a search I found an affordable module online. This module used on an Alfa 166 (I have seen this module also used on Fiat models). I guess this is the good news, it's a mass produced product thus easily and affordable to obtain. With shipping costs included it costed me € 32,-  (furthermore I can tell the module was used in the back based on the mounting clips - I had to remove and replace them on the horizon sides such they could be fitted on the bracket)




And it's installed now and all is good. Well, partly. the passengers window is still not functioning (I knew this already when I used the rear module). I suspect there is a wider issue for the passenger side as the mirror is not working either. And the central door locking is also failing on this side and the light control fails too. So I'm guessing. or better, I'm hoping, they have done something silly with the cabling. Meaning some cabling connectors have not been put together. I'm saying that as the front speakers in both doors are missing.  Yes, they are gone. I suspect this might have been a rush job so hoping they have not been bothered to connect the cable connectors together (especially if the power windows were already failing). Something for coming weekend to work out. At least the drivers power window is working now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Information centre panel replacement

Ha! Last week I had some buttons replaced on my daily driver (kappa coupe). They had become soft and sticky. I received a spare control pane...