It was time for the yearly APK (MOT) but it failed on 3 main points:
The first two points are points of attention but are not MOT failures:
1) Handbrake left backside is working poorly.
2) Doorcatcher left front is missing
3) Balljoint tie rod left front is broken / teared.
4) Drive shaft cover left side teard at the gearbox.
5) Wishbone left side has a hole.
Bummer, the first 2 points I can skip. As for point 1, this one is broken off (typical I have this on my old Kappa Coupe as well). Point 2 I will tackle another time. I'm surprised this is not a MOT failure?
By sheer luck I had bought already a pair of wishbones with new ball joints and mouting/stabilizing rubbers. So I had only to order a pair of driveshaft covers, both inside and outside. And a tie rod with ball joint.
Everything was quite rusty and very tight. It took quite a bit of power to undo everything.
With the wishbone removed it was quite apparent were the issue was.
Strangely I did not make a photo of the new wishbone, ball joint and rubber mounting. Oh well.
Removing the driveshaft was again hard labour to get it out.
I had of course both sides replaced. This kit is good as it comes with the clamps, grease, lock ring and for the outerside even a new driveshaft nut.
Really pleased with this result:
Putting things back together and mounted the ball joint. Again a little bit of hassle and force but all went well in the end. Again, no photo's taken.
The tie rod end removal required a lot of force as well. Once it was loose it went prette easy. Pushing the ball joint out was not difficult. I only do have a photo of the new tie rod
No photo of the end result either but all looks decent again. I hope they have some time to do a new MOT this week. Then I can do the same job on the other side when I have some time on my side. In any case, another Sunday well spent.

.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)


No comments:
Post a Comment