Saturday, 3 October 2026

wishbone replacement right side - Part II

The garage managed to unscrew the stuck driveshaft nut. They confirmed it was severely stuck and used heating and more power. I was charged € 42,35 for this exercise. I did provide them a new wheel nut.


They did tighten it but did not lock it. So today I could make a new attempt. Getting the nut off was again painfull. The air-impact wrench failed again. So again I used the long pipe and it went slowly. Phew.

Undoing all the other bolts and screws were requiring lots of force and strength. Getting the steering tie rod off required the tool but also this needed a lot force. In the end it popped out though.


I still need to source these two items on the sway bar (anti-roll bar) on both sides. So I leave that for another time. 


And so the wishbone came off as well. Also in a poor condition:


And the driveshaft. The covers are still intact but hard.


Time to get new ones. Removing the top cover and remove the security clip:



Adding the new rubbers covers, grease and clips:


And presto:


And now put everything back together (I had also removed the wheel mud guard so I could access the driveshaft bolts better. I now could also inspect the state of the other stuff and check the alternator and airco pump and the belt (in case I need to look into this in the future.


Once all was done I had to clean up all the tooling and make a test drive:


All good now, except the steering feels a bit odd. Seems like it's pulling a little unexpected when making a very slight turn/move. Not sure why this manifest, it feels a bit dangerous as well as it's quite firm. I now remember that I forgot to turn the nut on the tie rod but wonder if this is the cause. Or it might be this sway-bar ball joint or the driveshaft nut ??? I will check this next time

So the total costs for both sides:

I bought the wishbones (2) complete with ball-joint and mounting stabilizers for € 180,-
Steering tie rod pair : € 19,40
CV boot kit, driveshaft 4 times: € 60,34

So total: € 259,74

Plus the driveshaft nut: € 42,35

And the previous maintenance round:

So the costs for the MOT, tyre fix and airco refill (€ 80,-) was: € 187,57
The oil (5,5 liter) was € 68,85 
The oil filter was € 7,50. 
The new box of gasket O-ring seals was about € 12,00. 

So total costs for this round was: € 275,92

So combined its in total: € 578,01 

And of course there was some shipping costs involved for some of these items. 
So let's round it up to € 600,-

I wonder how much this exercise would have costed me at the garage? I think at least € 1.500,- but likely a little bit more. 

Next items is likely going to be shock absorber replacements. I also need to consider the timing belt and waterpump replacement. It's overdue but I'm not concerned about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

wishbone replacement right side - Part II

The garage managed to unscrew the stuck driveshaft nut. They confirmed it was severely stuck and used heating and more power. I was charged ...