Sunday 8 November 2020

Radio + Speakers and a lot more

Last week I found on Ebay the correct Lancia radio in combination with two front speakers. Unfortunately they wanted to ship to Germany only. In fact I could not even bid on it. Luckily I have a good source in Germany so I toggled to my German address and was able to bid and make a fair deal. Next it was up to Jos to declare the package and ship it back to the Netherlands - due to Corona it could take a while before he would visit the Netherlands again. And I simply did not want to wait that long. So yes, I'm ending up twice the shipping costs. The initial deal was € 90 including shipping. 

The package had a nice surprise as it contained an original navigation manual which I did not order (and never seen before either). But the radio had a failing cassette mechanism - the cassette opener/screen was partly loose and next the flat cable came loose as well. Not sure if I can fix it. More on that in a separate blog.


So today I made an attempt and wanted to start first with the right door since that side had other malfunctions (failing power window, failing mirror, failing central door locking, failing interior light). When I wanted to remove the door panel I had the impression it was not touched before as one of the screw caps seemed to be scratch free. Before doing all other screws I removed the power window button. To my surprise this side did had a radio speaker (contrary to the other side). I'm clueless why they only removed one speaker?? 

My guess for the other failing items on this side was failing cabling, meaning not connected properly back. But since the doorpanel had not been touched I considered that a low possibility. So next I checked the large cable connect at the door. To my surprise this was not firmly connected as I could partly moved it. I noticed on top it had some kind slider protector which could be moved out:



Next I could put the connector firmly back so it fitted correctly and push the protection slider back:



And you guessed it, this fixed all issue's on the passenger side: speaker working, mirror working and the central door locking working. Unfortunately the power window is still not working, you can hear the clicking though and I noticed the lights slightly dim (thus using a lot of current) - so I expect the motor is stuck/seized. I also noticed the interior light still fails when opening the door - this might be a known issue with the door lock which contains a micro switch that fails (I had this issue twice on my kappa coupe).  The same door locks are used on a Maserati QP IV.  So more work to do. I wonder how that connector came loose and when that happen? Glad that is sorted now.

So on to the next side as I wanted to install at least the speaker. And this would also cure a small rattle as the speaker holder was hanging loose - this is especially audible when closing the door. 

Clearly this door panel had been removed in the past and it was noticeable. I fear they used brute force or did not understood how it was clipped. The reflector was partly glued with kit as it was damaged, so I need to source another one:


The triangle shaped plastic cover was also glued with kit as all connections were broken off, sigh. So antoher one I need to source:



Removing the complete panel turned out a difficulty as one final screw could not get out as apparently the backside was ruined somehow. Again, I'm unsure how they managed that. The other side of the mouning bracket is having 3 screws and I only managed to get 2 out it. I don't have the right tools at home to reach the 3rd screw. Sigh! 


That's it for now ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Information centre panel replacement

Ha! Last week I had some buttons replaced on my daily driver (kappa coupe). They had become soft and sticky. I received a spare control pane...